Monday, January 23, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading? The State of My TBR Pile


It's Monday! What are you reading? is the original weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, but is now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date It's Monday! What are you reading? - from Picture Books to YA is a kidlit focused meme just like the original and is hosted weekly by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers .  The purpose is the same: to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. Twitter for #IMWAYR


I haven't been blogging over here at The Children's War very much lately.  As you can see from the photo, it's not because I don't have lots of books to read and that isn't even counting the eBooks I have sitting on my iPad. But, I been reading books for two award committees - one committee is the 2017 Cybils Middle Grade Fiction award. As you may know, there are 7 finalists chosen this year and for all I read middle grade fiction, the only book on the list that I had already read was In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall. The other nominees are Full of Beans by Jennifer L. Holm, Ghost by Jason Reynolds, Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson, Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan, Slacker by Gordon Korman, and lastly, Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand.

The other award committee is the Bank Street Children's Book Committee and, sorry, but I can't say what books we are considering for our three awards: The Josette Frank Award for fiction, The Flora Stieglitz Straus Award for nonfiction, and The Claudia Lewis Award for poetry. I'll let you know the winners as soon as I can.

It's a lot of reading and I have gotten woefully behind here but I am hoping to begin catching up this week.  I finally read Anna and the Swallow Man. Until then, feel free to visit my other blog, Randomly Reading, where I review books for kids, teens and grownups. My latest post is an expanded version of My Favorite Books About Resistance in World War II, inspired after participating in the Women's March this past weekend.

7 comments:

  1. I need to look at Anna and the Swallow Man. My 8th graders are doing a Holocaust unit, and I needed over 100 books so all of them could have a choice. Need to buy at least ten new titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many awards! I'm looking forward to chatting with you all about middle grade fiction soon (one more book left for me to read!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't finished all the books you need to read for the Cyble's award. I loved Ghost, Full of Beans and In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse. Mrs Bixby's last day didn't work for me. I am really looking forward to reading Save Me a Seat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Alex, I had so many to read in December for Cybil's Poetry that while I enjoyed them, I thought I'd never get done. Best wishes in your reading! I'll check out your other blog, the one I usually read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know how you do it all! I surely hope there is a lot of overlap! Love seeing Comfort in the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I went back to look at those awards and laughed at myself for suggesting overlap. Fiction. Nonfiction. Poetry. Okay, so maybe a little overlap with poetry.

    Get some sleep, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your TBR stack looks a little like mine! I would say "what a nice problem to have" but I know it's daunting. Enjoy. I hope.
    :)

    ReplyDelete